Thursday 6 August 2020

Oprah Winfrey’s Secrets to Happiness

Is there any one true secret to happiness? Probably not, but Oprah Winfrey certainly has hers, and one of them is that nobody else is happier! That’s what she tells herself, at least.

“I don’t know anyone happier. I don’t know anyone who has a better life, or had a better life. I look at other people and I think, they look happy. But not as happy as me,” Winfrey told Vogue in a 2018 interview.

The key, here, isn’t that Oprah thinks she’s the happiest person around, it’s that she doesn’t compare herself to others, and doesn’t base her happiness on the standards of others. It’s part of a simple approach to happiness, one that includes occasionally doing “nothing” in the limited free time she has, her true guilty pleasure.

“I can go weeks and never turn on a television. I’ve gone a summer not having it on. No, my guilty pleasure is, I do nothing.”

For Oprah, happiness is about being grateful for what she has:

“I live in a very beautiful space that I created, and every time I leave home and I’m driving out the back with the pond and the ducks, and I’m looking at the grass and I see the house on the hill, I have this moment where I think about when Dorothy says in ‘The Wizard of Oz’, ‘I learnt I didn’t have to look further than my own back yard.’ Every time I think of that.

Most people don’t even know what makes them happy. But I can just sit on my porch and I’ll start reading a book and then realize, Okay, I’m not reading any more. I can just take it all in. I can just be.”

We think we could all benefit from Oprah’s secrets, and if nothing more, they’ll help us realize that happiness doesn’t have to be that hard.

Looking for some uplifting reads? Visit our online library at Hearfind for a wide variety of ebooks, audiobooks, music, and more. Accessible anytime, anywhere, from your favorite devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment